Finsbury Park Mosque Attack: One Dead And 10 Injured In Latest London Terror Incident

One man has died and 10 others were injured when a van was rammed into worshippers in a terror attack near a London mosque, before the driver is said to have screamed: "I'm going to kill all Muslims".

The van driver - described by witnesses as a large white man - was detained by members of the public after the incident in Finsbury Park early on Monday that police said had "all the hallmarks of terrorism".

The white van ploughed into pedestrians as the area was busy with worshippers attending Ramadan night prayers in Seven Sisters Road at 12.20am.

The man who died is believed to have been an elderly worshipper who was already receiving first aid from members of the public after collapsing. It is not yet known if his death was caused by the attack, police said.

One witness described being surrounded by "bodies" in the wake of the attack outside the Muslim Welfare House, yards from Finsbury Park mosque.

Another said the attacker shouted about killing Muslims as he was held by local people. He his alleged to have said: "I did the job... I done my bit". Witnesses claimed he added: "I'd do it again, I'd do it again."

Prime Minister Theresa May is chairing a meeting of the Government's Cobra emergencies committee at 10am and is expected to give a statement outside 10 Downing Street afterwards.

Video posted online showed a scene of chaos as people tried to help the injured. One man could been seen giving CPR to a victim in the street while another man's head injury was treated with a makeshift dressing.

People could be heard shouting and screaming amid the chaos and bloodstains were visible on the pavement. In one video, a group of men are seen holding the suspect to the ground as they call for the police.

Eight people were taken to hospital and two more were treated for minor injuries at the scene. Police said all the casualties were Muslims.

Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner Neil Basu thanked members of the public for restraining the suspect.

Earlier, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "He has been taken to hospital as a precaution and will be taken into custody once discharged. He will also be subject of a mental health assessment in due course."

Some witnesses said more than one attacker might have been involved, but police said "no other suspects at the scene have been identified or reported to police".

The force also dismissed reports that the van driver produced a knife, adding: "At this stage there are no reports of any persons having suffered any knife injuries." Stay with us for the latest updates throughout the day.

Courtesy: Telegraph