Sports Minister Requests Sangakkara To Stay On For Another Year

Minister of Sports Naveen Dissanayake on Wednesday said that he would like to request ace batsman Kumar Sangakkara to play one more year for the Sri Lankan cricket team.

Sangakkara had earlier announced that he will retire from One Day International cricket after the 2015 Cricket World Cup. He is due to retire from Test Cricket in August.

Sangakkara reached his peak in batting, while keeping wickets for the team, during 2015 World Cup. He set a record as the only batsman ever to score four centuries in consecutive ODI innings.

In a press briefing in Colombo on Wednesday (01), Dissanayake further said that newly appointed president of the cricket interim committee will do its best for the development of Sri Lanka cricket.

Dissanayake, after Sri Lanka's exit from the quarterfinals of the 50-over showpiece event, has set out to revamp the local governing body administration by setting up an interim committee headed by the former Test opening batsman Sidath Wettimuny.

“Furthermore we hope to discuss with the International Cricket Council about their warning on suspending Sri Lanka from ICC” the minister added.

ICC’s Chief Executive David Richardson swiftly reacted to Tuesday’s Sri Lankan media reports about the impending appointment of an interim committee to run SLC affairs, saying that Sri Lanka will have to face repercussions if politicians involved in Sri Lanka Cricket administration.

© 2017 Asian Mirror (pvt) Ltd